If you've been following my tweets recently you will know that I've lost my running mojo. After getting super enthusiastic about learning a new running style, I then went out and injured my hip and have been struggling with my running ever since. I let the injury heal and shortened my runs but my hip kept aching after a few minutes. I primarily run because I want to but this niggling ache stopped me from enjoying it and so I fell out of love with running.
Today, however, I'm pleased to report that I'm head over heals again! Nothing has really changed physically but my mental approach has altered significantly. I went out today and ran my regular 7k route backwards with Alice in Videoland blasting through my headphones. I kept my mind on keeping my steps short, lifting and relaxing my feet and just went with the flow. And flow is what I found I'd been missing for a few weeks – that feeling of lightness, completeness and happiness. Welcome back running, I've missed loving you.
If you've lost your running mojo, try out a few of the hints below and see if you can find it again:
- Run a different route (or the same route backwards)
- Run on a different surface (if you're used to tarmac, try trail or vice versa)
- Make a running playlist of your absolute favourite songs timed to the length of your run and stick some really uplifting ones in there at regular intervals
- Forget about everything, leave your troubles behind and just run
- Enter a race
- Book a running holiday
- Relax and smile – it really does help!